Saturday 6 July 2013

Makeup Review: Highstreet Mini Haul

A few weeks ago I was watching a Zoella beauty vlog (love that lady), in which she shared some of her favourite highstreet makeup buys. As I'm trying not to be too excessive with my money at the moment (...massively failing), and as my MAC and Benefit are seriously running out, I thought that I would give a few of her picks a go. Here's a li'l review of what I got.

No 7 Exquisite Curl Mascara/ L'Oreal Superliner Perfect Slim  / Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer

No 7 Exquisite Curl Mascara - £11
So I hate to be obvious, but this mascara does exactly what it says on the bottle; it curls! As well as being in a pretty pink tube (I do appreciate nice packaging), the wand is curved to create maximum curl effect. I've never actually used a wand like this before, but I really think that it makes a difference. This mascara is perfect for people who prefer a more natural look as I personally don't think that it layers very well, and if you want dark, thicker eyelashes then maybe this isn't the mascara for you (I'm going to invest in the Maybelline Falsies mascara for nights out). However, if you like long, natural looking eyelashes, this is the perfect product and I am loving it to create a more natural, summery daytime look.

This eyeliner's black and gold exterior mirrors the Yves Saint Laurent Effet Faux Cils eyeliner, but thankfully comes without the price tag. I've tried several high street felt tip eyeliners in the past as they are generally so much easier to control and therefore perfect for creating a winged effect. The problem that I usually find with them is that they run out quite quickly and aren't as black as I would like (I like my eyeliner to be BLACK, if you know what I mean). As I've only been using this liner for a couple of weeks, it's difficult to say whether it will break the drying out trend, but so far it's my favourite. The tip is the perfect thickness and I find it very easy to control (even for li'l old me, who's pretty bad at doing wings!) However if you too like really dark eyeliner, I would advise going over it with a liquid liner. My FAV highstreet eyeliner of all time is the Collection 2000 Fast Stroke liquid eyeliner, which I've been returning to for years. It's really black, stays on all day, the bottle lasts aaages AND it's incredibly cheap at only £2.50!! The only thing I would say is that I sometimes struggle controlling it and my flicks can go pretty wonky. But hey, no need to fret because now: L'Oreal Superliner + Collection 2000 Liquid Eyeliner = Problem Solved! Hurray :) 


 


















Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer - £4.19
This concealer is a total bargain! It's a fabulous price at only £4.19, and as well as that it's just, well, fabulous! I've been applying it under my eyes and on blemishes and spots before I put on my foundation every day for the last couple of weeks, and I can't really fault it. It's quite thick, so if your skin's not too bad you could probably just use it to cover up blemishes and then skip the foundation (my skin's not fantastic, but I might try this when I'm on holiday). My only negative comment about this product would be that the packaging isn't great. The first tube that I bought had a crack in it somewhere and leaked all over my other makeup. Luckily Boots let me exchange it, however the black writing on my current tube came off all over my hands the first time that I used it and got everrrrywhere before I noticed (...got it on my face somehow). I'm not sure whether I was just unlucky but if this does happen to anyone else just take a makeup wipe and scrub the bottle (...and your face if necessary). It worked for me :) Anyway, as it's what's inside the bottle that really counts, I'm giving this product a big thumbs up!


I really hope that's helped anyone looking to fill their makeup bag with some highstreet bargains! I would love to know if you've tried any of these products, or if you have any other suggestions to keep me away from the Mac counter and my bank account looking a bit healthier. I'm feeling very excited at the moment as I've only got a week until I go away on holiday now and I can't waittt :) I'm a tad nervous as I'm off to Egypt (yikes!), but it's the safe touristy bit so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all will be fine. Anyway, expect some serious holiday preparation posts to come very soon.

Essie x

3 comments:

  1. The same thing happened to my Collection concealer, such a pain! But it's so good, I don't mind :) great post!

    Sophie xo | That's What Sophie Said

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Exactly, and who are we to complain at that price? haha :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The writing came up the first time I used it haha but a good concealer
    Lauren x

    www.beautyxdivision.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete